And now for something completely different….!This unique wooden property, newly built in 2005 is based on a railway Signal Box. I assumed that it was a refurbished and upgraded former signal Box, but in fact, it’s a new build based on the signal box theme.
Located next to the platform at Newtonmore Rail Station in the Cairngorms National Park, this quirky accommodation is ‘upside down’ with an open plan living area upstairs and a double bedroom and bathroom with sauna below. This makes the most of the panoramic views towards the River Spey and Cairngorm Mountains from the lounge area.
All the wood used in the property has been grown within 70 miles of Newtonmore and the design is contemporary and stylish. The owners also run a local specialist timber business and the solid oak floors and locally sourced pine sauna room are superb. The Sauna is especially welcome after a long days walking or even skiing on the nearby Cairngorm Mountains.
You can arrive by Sleeper from London and enjoy much of this wonderful area without the need for your own car, a big plus (Aviemore is only a short hop away by train) The Signal Box is a great base for the area, and is for more than Trainspotters, Its packed full of character and very comfy.
Yes you do hear the trains pass, (don’t fret there are not that many) but rather than disturb it only adds to the experience. It does have an extra sofa –bed, but I think its best suited for a romantic break for two!
- Explore the Wildcat Trail’, a circular walk around the edge of Newtonmore, taking in the River Spey with views to the Cairngorms
- Visit the fascinating Highland Folk Museum. Highlights include a Hebridean blackhouse, smokehouse, mill and a reconstruction of a working croft.
- Take the train to Aviemore and go on a bike ride through the numerous tracks of the Rothiemurchus forest.
- Go sailing, or hire a canoe at Loch Morlich Watersports. Stunning beach with amazing mountains, view ideal for a BBQ.
- Go walking in the high peaks of Cairngorms, go see the Reindeer herd or take a low level walk from Glenmore to the scenic green Lochan and lonely Roavan Bothy.
- Enjoy a romantic meal for two at the Ord Ban dinning room near Rothiemurchus. It’s a cosy and intimate dining room with superb local food served with flair and passion.
Name The Signal Box Newtonmore
TO BOOK & More Info
Rooms 1 dbl, sofabed in lounge
Price from £430
For even more Cool Cottages download our new iPhone App